Fruits are the most underrated food items; where we don’t realize their benefits till we are forced by our doctors do so. Fruits are a rich source of vitamins, energy and minerals. They are low in calories unless taken in juice or canned / tinned form where most of its natural nutrients are lost. Fruits should be preferably consumed whole to derive the maximum benefit from them. Fruits help in reducing the risk of heart diseases, cancer, stroke etc. We can have 1 or 2 different types of fruits throughout the day. Fruits are the healthiest snacks option available even for kids. There is a high incidence of diabetes and heart borne diseases due to increased intake of processed / packed food items. This puts the children at risk as they are mostly exposed to junk food culture. The habit of eating a fruit everyday helps in keeping ourselves and our children healthy and strong.
When’s the best time to eat fruits?
Fruit are ideally supposed to eaten first thing in the morning on an empty stomach preceded by a glass of water. Fruits throughout the day should also be taken on an empty stomach before your meals i.e. lunch/dinner. The reason being, they are not digested easily post a heavy meal and we fail to derive the benefits/nutrients from them. Ideally a meal should start with fruits or in case of mid meal hunger pangs they should be taken an hour or two before a heavy meal so as to derive maximum benefit from them. Fruits can be eaten for / with all the meals.
Benefits of Fruits in everyday life
- Fruits are a rich source of fibre and help in reducing the risk of obesity, diabetes, strokes, heart attack and heart disease. Fruits help in preventing bloating, indigestion, constipation and heartburn due to the rich soluble fibre content.
- Fruits contain fewer calories and ideal in losing weight the healthy way without any side effects due to the comparatively lower calories consumed ex. Fruits rich in water content like watermelon, sweet lime, oranges etc.
- Fruits rich in potassium and iron such as watermelon, pomegranate, berries, prunes etc help in decreasing bone loss and also lowers blood pressure.
- Fruits when included in our everyday diet help in prevention of Cancer cells as well.
- Fruit is an instant source of energy due to its natural sugar content and is therefore recommended for people of all age groups and especially for expectant women.
- Fruits rich in vitamin C such as oranges, sweet limes, melons etc help in keeping our teeth and gums strong.
- Fruits such apples, banana, papaya, grapes etc bring a natural glow on our skin and helps repair skin damage from within.
- Fruits have zero cholesterol and low in fats and calories.
- Fruits help in boosting the brain power, leading to increased focus and retention in learning.
- Fruits are easy to consume and can be carried for later use as well.
- There are so many varieties of fruits available that we don’t get bored or tire of them as we can keep switching between seasonal fruits for a change of palate.
- Fruits are easy on the eyes and make food look appealing and interesting for everyone with the wide variety of flavor, colours and textures.
- Fruits are instant energy releaser, which help in instant overall well being and positivity.
- For proper development of fetus in pregnant women, folic acid production is very important. Eating fruits rich in iron is much more beneficial and healthier than just consuming folic acid tablets.
- Eating Acidic fruits like pineapples, lemons, sweet limes, oranges etc daily is more recommended than the sweets ones like grapes, figs, dates etc as they help you in maintain your weight.
- For a diabetic person, checking portion size and sugar content of the fruit is a must. Fruits like apples, apricots, peaches, berries etc can be eaten in moderation.
Fruits and benefits on basis of color
Red: Red coloured fruits like apples, watermelons, litchis, strawberries etc help in keeping heart rate strong.
Orange: Orange coloured fruits like Oranges, peaches, melons help in protecting your teeth, gums and eyes.
Yellow: Fruits such as bananas, lemons, jackfruits, pineapples helps in boosting the immune system.
Green: Green fruits such as pear, grapes, kiwi and avocado strengthen your bones and teeth.
Blue/Purple: Blue berries, plums, purple grapes help in improving memory and mineral absorption.
Eating fruits daily should become a part of your healthy lifestyle as it’s the easiest way to manage health in the long run. Besides being cost effective, it also adds flavor and colour in our everyday meals making healthy eating fun and enjoyable. Their positives far exceed any negatives in including fruits in our daily diet.